Black mold, Stachybotrys chartarum or sometimes toxic black mold, is a type of fungus that produces its conidium in sludge or slime like balls. It can be found commonly in soil, grains and straw, but it is most frequently detected in damp or moist building materials from water-damaged or wet buildings. The spores of this toxic black mold release toxic substances when they are ingested or inhaled, causing severe health problems for people who come into contact with the spores.
The first way to control black mould is to prevent the condensation that leads to the accumulation of spores. Any moisture – excessive or necessary – should be removed immediately to avoid excess moisture and the growth of mold. A ceiling fan that has insufficient wattage to circulate the air in the room should be installed to increase the ventilation in the room. Proper insulation in walls and windows should be checked regularly to ensure that the proper ventilation is present. If all these measures are in place and the humidity in the room is not too high, then there is no immediate need to take away the moisture.
If there is already a problem with black mould, then there are a number of other steps that should be taken to contain the moisture source. One solution that can help is to use plastic sheeting over the wall cavities to contain any leaking. This should be complemented by sealing the area completely to avoid further leaks. If leakage continues to use these methods, then it is time to look at fixing the leaking walls.
Excessive moisture is not the only cause of black mould, so moisture sources inside the room should be properly eliminated. To do this safely, a moisture barrier should be applied in strategic areas around the house to prevent moisture from seeping in. Any cracks or gaps that allow moisture to seep in should be sealed. In addition, a dehumidifier can be used to reduce the dampness in rooms that do not have an air gap between the floor and ceiling.
Areas near the floor that does not have a gap or missing beams should be sealed so as to prevent black mould from spreading. Any loose shingles should be replaced immediately to ensure that there is proper ventilation. If ceiling tiles are found to have cracks or openings, they can be replaced with new ones. Similarly, damaged plaster walls should be repaired and reinstalled to prevent the development of black mould.
Asthma is one condition that calls for immediate attention when it comes to moldy walls or ceilings. An asthma attack can occur due to the development of toxic spores in areas that are unreachable through doors, windows or through ventilation. This can be very hazardous for those who suffer from asthma and can affect their health and cause an attack. It is best to address these situations right away, before the situation gets worse.
Moldy walls and roofs can also affect persons who have respiratory conditions such as asthma. Since asthma patients usually have collapsed lung volumes, the development of black mould in these areas can trigger an attack. However, since persons with asthma cannot breathe water vapour, the only way to ventilate the inactive state is by opening the windows or doors. Similarly, excess moisture can be removed by cleaning the walls or replacing the sills with water-proof material and by opening the window sills.
Black mould growth on damp floors can also occur in other areas such as the bathroom. A damp musty smell can develop if the floor is wet due to condensation or leakage. This will eventually build up and produce a musty smell that is difficult to remove. To solve this problem, it is best to regularly wipe the area so as to prevent the development of a foul smell. If the problem persists, it is time to hire professional mold removal services to get rid of the black mould.